Multiple VAR interventions. Young talent. The level of intensity continues to rise. We are only in the second week of the Major League Soccer competition, and this past weekend did not disappoint.
The LA Galaxy is the only team in the league to claim all three points in both matches. And are atop of the Western Conference and the running for the Supporters Shield.
LAFC debuted the club’s first fully vaccinated-only section at the Banc of California stadium which was located behind the goal in the supporters stand. Fans that could prove they had received the second dose two weeks prior were allowed to secure a seat. The club also offered vaccines to a limited number of fans at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum ahead of Saturday’s match.
Speaking of club innovations, Children’s Mercy Park in Kansas City became the most fan-inclusive stadium in the league. In partnership with Variety KC, the stadium will offer new amenities for guests with disabilities and special needs, including a sensory room, universal changing stations, sensory backpacks, and more.
- Sporting Kansas City plays Orlando City to a 1-1 draw in a heavily VAR intervened match for the home opener.
- Phil Neville wins his first match as manager for Inter Miami CF. The former Manchester United and Everton star led his team to a 2-1 victory at Subaru Park. Additionally, Gonzalo and Federico Higuaín are the first brothers to score during the same MLS game.
- 17-year-old Cade Cowell has a remarkable performance in San Jose’s win with a goal and an assist.
- NYCFC had a five-star performance for their home opener in a stunning 5-0 blowout over FC Cincinnati. Down by one in the first half, FCC had its moments, but then came the goal onslaught for the final 45 off of set pieces.
- Chicharito added a hat trick to his total in the 3-2 victory over the New York Red Bulls. The Mexican international now has five goals in two matches.
- Austin FC won their first match in club history in a 3-1 victory against the Colorado Rapids at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. Diego Fagundez opened the scoresheet with Cecilio Dominguez adding a pair within four minutes to secure the win.
Sporting Kansas City 1-1 Orlando City SC
New York City FC 5-0 FC Cincinnati
Nashville SC 2-2 CF Montréal
Toronto FC 2-2 Vancouver Whitecaps
San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 FC Dallas
LAFC 1-1 Seattle Sounders
Minnesota United 1-2 Real Salt Lake
Philadelphia Union 1-2 Inter Miami CF
Atlanta United 3-1 Chicago Fire FC
New England Revolution 1-0 DC United
Colorado Rapids 1-3 Austin FC
Portland Timbers 2-1 Houston Dynamo
LA Galaxy 3-2 New York Red Bulls